Titanic Starring Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, it was released two decades ago in 1997 and featured a heartwarming tale of two lovers. The sinking of the Titanic is still one of the greatest tragedies in our history. In what was supposed to be a celebration of new achievements, the Titanic collided with an iceberg in the North Atlantic Ocean and sank along with hundreds of people. People still feel chills down their spine after watching Titanic, a movie based on the real incident. It won 11 Academy Awards including Best Picture, Best Director, Best Editing, Best Original Song and more.
For those who missed the movie, towards the end, Jack and Rose find a floating raft after the ship’s fatal crash into an iceberg. Only Rose could fit on it as the raft was unstable and Jack froze to death in the frigid waters of the Atlantic Ocean.
Let’s celebrate 25 years of Titanic: Unknown facts about the 1997 film
- The nude sketch of Rose wearing Heart of the Ocean was actually created by the film’s director, James Cameron.
- Elderly couple filmed lying in bed together as Titanic sinks, based on real couple who founded Macy’s
- James Cameron Spent More Time on the Real Titanic Than Any Original Passenger
- The film cost approximately $200 million to make – that’s over $1 million per minute of screen time
- A comment by Neil deGrasse Tyson prompted James Cameron to change a key scene after the film’s release
- Real beluga caviar was used in the film’s first class dining room scenes.
- One of the film’s most iconic lines was improvised on the spot
- On one of the last days of shooting, someone allegedly spiked the cast and crew repeatedly with PCPs.
- Leonardo DiCaprio often brought his pet lizard on set
- According to science, Jack could fit in the door with Rose.
- In 2012, a 3D version of ‘Titanic’ came out. Titanic is third on the list at the global box office with $2.2 billion. Of that, $659.4 million is from North America and $1.542B is from overseas. Cameron’s Avatar is the top film of all time worldwide.
To mark Titanic’s 25th anniversary, a remastered version of the film will be released in theaters next year on Valentine’s Day. According to Deadline, the film will be distributed internationally by Disney starting February 10, 2023, and the remastered version will be available in theaters in 3D, 4K HDR, and high-frame-rate.